Ask Ruth about dissertation.
Situating the piece of writing as a part of the submission:
- What function does it have relating to the whole?
- Choosing a writing mode
- History/background to the project – methods of engagement – outcomes/discussion of project.
- Where are the focus points?
- Mass communication theory – re scientists thinking artists have more accessible work – gallery audience is just as self moderating as those who read scientific journals although those aren’t two groups which usually overlap.
- How to change the audience? Public art etc?
- What evolutions can art make/conversions made previously (look up land art, Francis Alys etc.)
- What is the value of a new set of images? Victor Burgen – appropriated images
- Sets dependent on photographer (Rob’s set etc)
- Photos looking away from glacier/from glaciers perspective – Mark Adams
- Issues that surround the project/methods and modes/limitations
- Methods of engagement – outcomes?
- Tourism/Science lense
- Activities at the location
- Tourist pull cards (extreme sport, grand scenery and maori culture)
- Poetic way to author work, vs intellectual authoring of new meaning through existing images
o Political implications of both?
- Photographs – temporary, slice of time. Is photography the main mode?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses?
- How do you activate its power and what effect can it have.
- Land artists – alys, hector Zamora etc – poetic gestures
- How do you combine a poetic gesture with empirical data?
- Intricate arguments? Why do we have apathy?
- Narrowing subject further – being aware of the other dialogues it will touch upon but focussing on something very specific.
- Image vs action could the scientists carry out the action?
- Object through process.
- What kind of gesture – would need a light touch, within limits of what could be carried in and out etc.
- Development of a set of gestures in preparation for returning to the landscape?
- Limitations of working within large landscape etc... talk to DOC find out what’s possible etc.