- remote glacier
- poetic message
- quality of print
- redundancy of form of communication
- object of rich history
- scale in the landscape
- old images/static images blocking perception of climate change
- glaciers melting around the world
- strange notion of buying someone else's history
- multi layering
- aspects of science
- discovering scientific information in an art forum
- relation to older image
- contrasting with ideal pictures
- living/talking glaciers
- sound outcome
- environmental shock
- social studies aspects
- intriguing mystery
- is seeing believing?
- constructed viewpoints
- what is the thesis of the work?
- constructed evidence
- natural identity is complacent hindering our change to actually 'being green'
- artists potentially more free to respond/create as they wish
- people don't want to know
- mediated perceptions keep us in a state of unconsciousness
- would consciousness create panic? vitalise action?
- constructing the truth
- tied back to capitalism
- systems of value
- Eco-friendly tourism ventures on climate affected landscapes ironic
- notion of time as leisure
- sublime - needing to be overwhelmed by landscape
- working on a memory differently
- The shock doctrine
- Werner Herzog - films
- Darwin's nightmare
- Paul Winstanley - tourist landscape
- Wolfgang Staehle
- Fiona Clark - Taranaki vista
- Andrea Polli
- Live data - what is the value?
- What is the purpose of layers of conversion of data?
- What is the main thing that you hope to achieve?
- Check new media discourse - sci/art discourse
- trans media
- AV festival
- electronic arts
- Why do it?
- Who else is doing it?
- Cost webcam hosting etc - potentially do a basic version for MFA and approach CNZ post MFA
- Strategic functions
- what kind of representations will result
- investigate potential final material frameworks
- investigate implications/issues around imaging and data conversion in projects.
- potential losses: formal reduction - pure aesthetic - loss of communication/or ambiguity vs straight communication - very political, telling people how to think...
- Stella Brennan (fake sonar)
Art, photography, grand narratives, particular geographies, climate change etc. Narrow down what you want to focus on and have a clear aim before returning to glacier.
Look up Lawrence Aberhart and Mark Adam (Written on by Nicholas Butler). Francis Pound as well re: NZ pristine.
Hans Haake - River cleaning work
Narrowing potential - edit academic area of concern
A science discourse or a broader, popularised discourse?
Talk to Joyce Campbell
Think about potentially relating this project to other geographies. It could result in an output of only a few components.
Postcards at: Venice Biennale: Arsenale – Aleksandra Mir